Wednesday, June 26, 2013

storm damage



Words cannot really describe what my street, neighborhood, entire city look like after a devastating storm last Friday night. So here are some numbers and photos instead.

130-year-old (someone counted the rings!) Elm tree, which hit 2 cars on its way down
Just one of three trees on our block to fall all the way across the road






Three garbage bags full of food I had to throw away because the power was out from Friday night to Sunday night (and I was at a cabin in Wisconsin with friends, having a delightful time in my ignorance of what was happening back home). By the time I got back Sunday afternoon, most everything was beyond salvage.







Over 600,000 Minnesotans without power (some still don't have service back).



One major intersection between my house and the freeway still blocked by a tree and live power wire, a full five days after the storm.



Early estimates say that we lost more trees in Minneapolis during this storm than we did when the tornado hit the city in 2011. 

Luckily, I also had:
0 ounces of water in the basement
0 trees on top of the house
0 instances of external damage whatsoever

We're especially lucky that dad had borrowed the car for the weekend to drive to Wisconsin, because normally I park it right where that tree fell...

Continue your prayers for Mpls please! If that's your thing. Warm fuzzy thoughts welcome too.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment