Sunday, June 16, 2013

a recipe for a cherry moment


"Cherries don't have a season, they have a moment." 
- someone (I dunno, Google isn't helping?)

I heard it somewhere, probably The Splendid Table. And it reminded me that I've had this Cherry Clafouti recipe stashed in my binders for years, untried. Well I've tried cherry clafouti ... it's one of my all-time favorites. Just not this recipe.

Friends, it did not disappoint. Run to the store and buy the last bag of perfect cherries, and don't go to a lame grocery store because you need creme fraiche. Then come home and make this and tap your feet while you wait impatiently for it to cool, and scarf down half the pan as soon as you can eat it without scalding your tongue.

That is my advice to you. Listen to me and not your personal trainer.

Oh, and hi dad! Happy father's day (again). I know how much you love cherries ... I promise to make you one sometime, you'll love it.

xo



Cherry Clafouti
adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine

Prep time: 15 min
Total time: 45 min.
Serves 4-6

Clafouti is best served warm, so bake it just before you serve dinner. Scoop it into bowls topped with a spoonful of creme fraiche.

Unsalted butter, for dish
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. creme fraiche, plus more for serving
3/4 c. whole milk
1/2 c. granulated sugar, plus more for dish
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
12 ounces cherries, halved and pitted (if you don't have a scale: enough to fill the bottom of the baking dish)


1. Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9-inch diameter 1 1/4 inch deep baking dish. Coat with sugar; tap out excess. 
2. Whisk eggs, yolk and flour in a medium bowl (hand whisk is fine -- don't need eggbeaters). Next whisk in creme fraiche, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
3. Arrange cherries in prepared baking dish. Pour batter over cherries -- they will rise to the top, this is ok. Bake until browned around edges and set in the center, 30-35 min. Let cool slightly. If desired, dust with powdered sugar. Regardless, serve warm with creme fraiche. Is also delicious cold, perhaps for breakfast the next morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment