Sunday, January 1, 2012

I swim in it as a sea

"And there's a hand, my trusty friend
And give us hand of thine
And we'll take a right good-will draught
for auld lang syne."


That's one of the verses of Auld Lang Syne you never seem to hear on New Year's Eve. Beautiful, isn't it? My friends Kelin and Mike got married on Friday, and we spent the last three days of 2011 celebrating (and singing all the verses of Auld Lang Syne with full brass and bridal chorus ... so fun.) So much celebrating that I stayed in my pj's on the couch all day today, drinking tea from the adorable cups my brother got me for Christmas, which was a delightful way to start the new year :)

Last night, a friend of Kelin and Mike's read this from Walt Whitman's "I Sing the Body Electric":

I have perceiv'd that to be with those I like is enough,
To stop in company with the rest at evening is enough,
To be surrounded by beautiful, curious, breathing, laughing flesh is enough,
To pass among them or touch any one, or rest my arm ever so lightly round his or her neck for a moment, what is this then?
I do not ask any more delight, I swim in it as in a sea.


That is my wish for you in 2012. Swim in the delight of friends as in a sea. And to the friends reading this, let that be our 2012 and beyond. Love you all. Come over for dinner soon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment