Saturday, June 12, 2010

the preservation of rhubarb


Once upon a time, way back at the end of high school, my friends decided that I was probably going to become a jammer. That is, a jam lady.

I never quite knew where they came up with this idea, but either I was destined to be a lady who makes jam or I just liked the name after they christened me as such. Because now their prediction has come true.

I have made my first jar of jam. Let's be honest, they're really preserves, which aren't as fancy (or complicated) as jam.

But I get to eat the stuff on toast in the morning, and scoop it out of a Ball jar. So I'm thinking it counts.

And now I'm going to share the love - sort of. I can't give you all a taste of my delicious homemade rhubarb preserves (unless you come over to my house really really soon) but I will show you how I did it. Because it is seriously easier than pie. Color me shocked.

~ Rhubarb Preserves ~
from Atlanta Kitchens (an amazing cookbook, pictured above)

pick some rhubarb from your garden, preferably with peonies

wash & admire

chop into little pieces and freeze

on the big day, grab a cooking kettle and your frozen rhubarb

find some nice lemons and sugar

you'll need about a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
tip: microwave the lemons for 10-20 seconds, then roll them on a cutting board to make them easier to juice

add about a cup of sugar (more depending on how much rhubarb you have, and how sour it is)

mix in the lemon juice

bring everything to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes...

...or until it looks like this! the rhubarb pieces should mostly fall apart, but a few big pieces are okay

ready for loving.

so, has anyone else made jam? I'm ready to hear your tips! I think I'm addicted to this.

xoxo LG

No comments:

Post a Comment