Thursday, November 10, 2011

house crashing: boston (part 2)


A few days before my trip to Boston, the girls emailed me a list of vegetables they had on-hand from their farm share. My job was to bring recipe ideas for a gourmet cooking event on Friday night.

The ingredients:

  • Hen of the woods mushrooms
  • Turnips
  • Shell beans
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Butternut squash
  • Buttercup squash
  • Pumpkin
  • Parsley
  • Apples


And cook we did. Four recipes from Bon Appetit magazine, as a matter of fact. I think that's a personal record for one night (and not likely to happen again soon.) Totally, completely worth it, however.

The dishes:

The finished products (please excuse me forgetting to change the white balance between living room and kitchen):





The process (a box of red wine from Trader Joe's may have been involved):





Surprisingly, the potatoes might have been the biggest hit (other than the pie). But everything was delicious and these recipes are absolutely going into my regular rotation.

Also: who knew that you could (slash, should) put tapioca in a pie? I had never heard of this before, but apparently it's "a thing." My new best trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment