Tuesday, May 28, 2013

veggies & herbs of 2013


Fourth vegetable garden! Wow, time flies.

This wasn't the year to add raised beds to the backyard since I'm still figuring out what I'm going to do with the back patio and some trees. So I just planned veggies and herbs for the spots I've used previously: the strip between the patio and fence, and a few pots and in-ground areas by the back door. 

In the ground this year:
  • tomatoes (two varieties - Early Girl and Yellow Pear)
  • salsa peppers 
  • broccoli
  • swiss chard
  • lemon cucumbers
  • lettuce
  • kale
  • beets
  • brussels sprouts
  • basil
  • sage
  • lemon verbena
  • oregano
  • thyme
  • spearmint
  • lavender








The big makeover, if there was one this year, is that I'm using the window boxes on the back of the garage for lettuce this year. We'll see how it goes ... it's pretty shaded over there, but at least they'll be protected from the bunnies.

before:


after:



So, the brussels sprouts and beets are new for me this year. Anyone have good tips? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment